Lothian Hospital Histories

Hospital for Diseases of Women

The Hospital for Diseases of Women opened on 1st August 1910. It provided gynaecological treatment for women of moderate means who could pay something towards the expense of hospital treatment and who did not wish to be treated in a teaching hospital such as the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.

The hospital was housed in 2 Archibald Place, a house previously run as a private gynaecological home by Dr. W. S. Haultain, who became one of the senior gynaecologists on the hospital staff.

On transfer to the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital became part of the Board of Management of Edinburgh Central Hospitals. In December 1951 the hospital was amalgamated with Chalmers Hospital and used as an annexe for gynaecological paediatrics and ear, nose and throat cases. The building was closed in March 1968 and demolished later that year.

Hospital for Diseases of Women records