Lothian Hospital Histories
Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Incurables
In 1874 the Edinburgh Association for Incurables was founded. Longmore Hospital was opened in 1875 and Liberton Hospital in 1906. In 1903 the Association had received a Royal Charter and the two hospitals together were known as the Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Incurables.
The Hospital was set up to cater for people presumed to be incurable and in need of constant medical supervision. Such patients were unable to receive attention at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, which did not have facilities to look after long-term cases.
In 1948, with the setting up of the National Health Service, the hospital became part of Edinburgh Southern Hospitals Board of Management.
University Library Online |
Designed by the Learning Technology Section, © The University of Edinburgh