LHB48  Eastern General Hospital

Collection Summary

Reference Code: GB239 LHB48
Title: Eastern General Hospital

Administrative dates: 1906-2007
Dates of Creation of Material: 1949-1998
Level of Description: Fonds
Extent and Medium of the Unit of Description:  5.1 linear metres


Name of creator(s): Eastern General Hospital
Administrative History: The Eastern General Hospital was built in 1906 by the Leith Parish Council as a combined poor house and hospital. During the First World War the Hospital was used by the military authorities, and a nurses’ home, nurses’ dining room and operating theatre were added. Following the Local Government Act 1929, the Hospital came under the control of the Edinburgh Corporation and was used as a hospital for the chronic sick. During the Second World War improvements were made to enable it to become part of the emergency hospital scheme.

Parts of the Hospital started to be closed from the late 1990s with the final closure coming in 2007.  In 2008 the remaining Hospital buildings were badly damaged by fire.

Archival History: Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer
Immediate Source of Acquisition or Transfer: Acc 04/20

Scope and Content: Patient records, 1960-1998; administrative records, 1949-1997; staff records, 1972-1995

Accruals: Further accessions are unlikely.
System of Arrangement: Chronological within record class


Conditions Governing Access: Access is subject to the terms of the NHS Records Management Code of Practice 2010, the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
Conditions Governing Reproduction: Reproduction is subject to closure periods and physical condition
Language/Scripts of Material: English

Archivists' Notes: Compiled by Alison Scott
Rules or Conventions: Description based on ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description International Council on Archives (2nd edition), 2000
Date(s) of Description: August 2010