GD1/82 Second Scottish General Hospital Craigleith

Collection Summary

Reference Code: GB239 GD1/82
Title: Second Scottish General Hospital Craigleith
Dates of Creation of Material: 1915-1916
Level of Description: Fonds
Extent and Medium of the Unit of Description: 13 items: bound volumes

Name of creator(s): Second Scottish General Hospital Craigleith
Administrative History: Craigleith Poorhouse was founded in 1868 and served the St Cuthbert’s district of Edinburgh. It included an Infirmary for the care of sick paupers. In 1914 the Poorhouse was taken over as a military hospital and renamed the 2nd Scottish General Hospital, Craigleith. The "Craigleith Chronicle" served as the Hospital’s wartime magazine. The Poorhouse returned to its former function in 1919, and in 1929 it became the Western General Hospital.
Archival History: Items held within Duncanson family
Immediate Source of Acquisition or Transfer: Margaret Duncanson, Aberdeen, April 1979

Scope and Content: "Craigleith Hospital Chronicle" 1915-1916 (incomplete run of issues)
Accruals: No further accessions are expected
System of Arrangement: Chronological within record class

Conditions Governing Access: None
Conditions Governing Reproduction: Reproduction is subject to closure periods and physical condition
Language/Scripts of Material: English

Archivists' Notes: Compiled by Mike Barfoot and Jenny McDermott using existing handlists
Rules or Conventions: Description based on ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description International Council on Archives (2nd edition), 2000
Date(s) of Description: May 2000; revised June 2002