GD1/7 Haig Ferguson Memorial Home

Collection Summary

Reference Code: GB239 GD1/7
Title: Haig Ferguson Memorial Home
Dates of Creation of Material: c1925-1973
Level of Description: Fonds
Extent and Medium of the Unit of Description: 20 items: bound volumes, papers

Name of creator(s): Haig Ferguson Memorial Home
Administrative History: Founded in 1899 by Dr. James Haig Ferguson to provide accommodation for unmarried women expecting their first baby. It was situated at 118 Lauriston Place and known as the Lauriston Home. In 1925 it moved to 4 Lauriston Park, and after Dr. Haig’s death in 1936 it was renamed in his memory. The Home closed in 1974.
Archival History: Papers held by John Sturrock, Chairman of the Home’s Management Committee 1956-1971
Immediate Source of Acquisition or Transfer: John Sturrock, November 1992

Scope and Content: Constitution of Lauriston Home, pre-1925; annual reports, 1955-1973; details of Home’s committee and aims from Charitable Directory; "Charitable Organisations Appeal 1966" with entry for Home
Accruals: No further accessions expected
System of Arrangement: Chronological within record class

Conditions Governing Access: Access is subject to the terms of the NHS Records Management Code of Practice 2010, the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
Conditions Governing Reproduction: Reproduction is subject to closure periods and physical condition
Language/Scripts of Material: English

Archivists' Notes: Compiled by Mike Barfoot and Jenny McDermott using existing handlists
Rules or Conventions: Description based on ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description International Council on Archives (2nd edition), 2000
Date(s) of Description: May 2000; last updated August 2009.