Welcome to Lothian Health Services Archive

Lady with blood bottle

 

Lothian Health Services Archive holds the historically important local records of NHS hospitals and other health-related material.

We collect, preserve and catalogue these records and promote them to increase understanding of the history of health and for the benefit of all.

Please use this website as a gateway to our collections, the services we provide and the projects we undertake.

Deacon Blue postcard

 

 

LHSA's Edinburgh and Lothian HIV/AIDS Collections have been used to create resources for teachers in secondary schools and youth groups. The resources focus on the Curriculum for Excellence structure. Each highlights specific items in the HIV/ AIDS collection in the LHSA. Visit it at www.hiv-aids-resources.is.ed.ac.uk.

 

Pictured are Deacon Blue, who are featured in the resource ‘The Impact of Marketing’.

Image from a case note

 

 

In a project funded by the Wellcome Trust, LHSA has developed an online catalogue to the case notes of prominent Scottish neurosurgeon, Norman Dott (1897-1973). The catalogue allows users to search over 26,000 records, whilst maintaining the privacy of individual patients in accordance with relevant legislation and guidance. For more information click here.

 

 

Bangour Village Hospital in WW1

 

 

Although the majority of personal military medical records were kept by the War Office, LHSA holds rich resources relating to hospital life in the First World War. Along with an almost complete collection of the Craigleith Chronicle, a magazine produced by staff and patients at the Second Scottish General Hospital, Craigleith, images, scrapbooks and personal papers reflect Lothian’s medical home front.

 

Image of public health awareness campaign

LHSA's new project, RVH vs TB: a project to catalogue LHSA’s Royal Victoria Hospital Tuberculosis and Diseases of the Chest Case Notes and Registers (c.1920-2000), will catalogue c. 17,500 case notes tracing Edinburgh’s fight against tuberculosis and diseases of the chest from The Royal Victoria Dispensary and Southfield Sanatorium in the 1920s up to the Edinburgh X-Ray Campaign of 1958 (pictured) and beyond. As a result of the project, researchers will be able to access the next chapter in the local history of the prevention and treatment of tuberculosis that begins with the world’s first TB dispensary in 1887, in Sir Robert Philip’s ‘Edinburgh Scheme’.