LHB31  Hospital for Diseases of Women, Edinburgh

Collection Summary

Reference Code: GB239 LHB31
Title: Hospital for Diseases of Women, Edinburgh
Dates of Creation of Material: 1909-1948
Level of Description: Fonds
Extent and Medium of the Unit of Description: 2 items: bound volumes, papers


Name of creator(s): Hospital for Diseases of Women Edinburgh
Administrative History: Opened in 1910 to provide gynaecological treatment for women of moderate means. In 1948 it became part of the Board of Management for Edinburgh Central Hospitals. In 1951 it was amalgamated with Chalmers Hospital and used as an annexe for gynaecological, paediatric and ear nose and throat cases. The original building in Archibald Place was closed in 1968 and demolished the same year.
Archival History: Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer
Immediate Source of Acquisition or Transfer: Alexander McWatt Green, Edinburgh, June 1980


Scope and Content: Management Committee minutes 1909-1947; annual reports 1910-1940; administration 1928-1948
Accruals: No further accessions are expected
System of Arrangement: Chronological within record class


Conditions Governing Access: Access is subject to the terms of the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
Conditions Governing Reproduction: Reproduction is subject to closure periods and physical condition
Language/Scripts of Material: English

Related Units of Description:
Chalmers Hospital (LHB4)
Edinburgh Central Hospitals Board of Management (LHB29)

Archivists' Notes: Compiled by Mike Barfoot and Jenny McDermott using existing handlists
Rules or Conventions: Description based on ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description International Council on Archives (2nd edition), 2000
Date(s) of Description: May 2000; last updated August 2009.