LHB19  Alderston Convalescent Home

Collection Summary

Reference Code: GB239 LHB19
Title: Alderston Convalescent Home
Dates of Creation of Material: 1939-1956
Level of Description: Fonds
Extent and Medium of the Unit of Description: 2 items: bound volumes


Name of creator(s): Alderston Convalescent Home
Administrative History: Founded by the Scottish Rural Workers Friendly Society to serve its members throughout Scotland and in existence by 1930. In 1948 it became part of the Board of Management of East Lothian Hospitals and in 1956 it was turned into a nurses' home. It was sold to Lothian Regional Council for use as offices in 1975.
Archival History: Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer
Immediate Source of Acquisition or Transfer: Robert Wilson, Administrator, East Lothian Hospitals, October 1983


Scope and Content: Admissions registers 1939-1956; wages records 1948
Accruals: No further accessions are expected
System of Arrangement: Chronological within record class


Conditions Governing Access: Access is subject to the terms of the NHS Records Management Code of Practice 2010, the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
Conditions Governing Reproduction: Reproduction is subject to closure periods and physical condition
Language/Scripts of Material: English

Related Units of Description:
East Lothian Hospitals Board of Management (LHB17)
North Lothian District, Lothian Health Board (LHB27)

Archivists' Notes: Compiled by Mike Barfoot and Jenny McDermott using existing handlists
Rules or Conventions: Description based on ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description International Council on Archives (2nd edition), 2000
Date(s) of Description: May 2000; last updated August 2009.